What You Need to Know About Car Accident Claims
- If you have suffered injuries as the result of a car accident, you may be able to recover damages through a personal injury claim.
- In the state of Texas, you have two (2) years from the date of your accident to file a personal injury lawsuit related to your car accident.
- Texas is a ‘modified comparative fault’ state. That means that the amount of compensation you recover will depend on the percent you are responsible for the accident. For instance, if you are found to be 20 percent responsible, you will only be able to secure 80 percent of damages owed to you.
- J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys provide the best legal support in the Rio Grande Valley and beyond.
Plenty of Car Accidents & Plenty of Lawyers in the RGV, But Only One J. Gonzalez
As you travel along Expressway 83, Interstate 69C, and other major roadways all throughout the Rio Grande Valley – from Brownsville to Roma and everywhere in between – you are likely to see plenty of billboards for personal injury lawyers and law firms.
There’s a reason for this.
Unfortunately, plenty of serious, and even deadly, car accidents take place all over the region. When coupled with the fact that we live so close to the border, which adds an abundance of 18-wheelers, it can be downright frightening traveling in the RGV.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation:
- In 2017 there were:
- 7,015 total crashes in Cameron County
- 14,334 total crashes in Hidalgo County
- 660 total crashes in Starr County
- 187 total crashes in Willacy County
- Of these crashes:
- 944 crashes involved speeding drivers
- There were 737 commercial motor vehicle involved crashes
- There were 1,974 distracted driver crashes
- There were 1,156 DUI crashes
- There were 57 fatal crashes
- There were 10,374 possible injuries
If these numbers weren’t shocking enough, Texas Monthly reported in 2017, “On a per-mile basis, the deadliest stretch of highway in Texas is the 1.49 miles of I-69C in Edinburg, between FM 2812 and Monte Cristo Road, just north of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley campus.”
TxDOT also notes that the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Driver failing to control their speed
- Distracted driving
- Driver failing to stay in a single lane
- Driver changing lanes without safely noting others on the road
- Driver failing to yield when turning left
Suffice to say that there are many reasons why you can find so many billboards of personal injury attorneys on major thoroughfares in the Rio Grande Valley.
You Need to Act in a Timely Manner
The Texas statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim, which includes injuries suffered in a car accident, is two (2) years from the date of the car accident. As the process to successfully file a claim can be a bit complex and time-consuming, it is important to seek guidance from the experienced team at J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys as soon as possible.
It is important to note that if you fail to file a claim within this two-year time limit, then you are basically forfeiting your rights to secure the justice and financial recovery you need to begin piecing your life back together.
Additionally, should you lose a loved one as the result of a car accident caused by a negligent party, you have two (2) years from when the decedent was first injured to file a wrongful death claim.
How Your Car Accident Settlement is Calculated
In the state of Texas, your car accident lawsuit can be affected by the modified comparative law. This law means that the amount of compensation you are able to secure can be reduced by the percentage you are responsible for the accident.
For instance, if it is determined that you contributed 30 percent to the accident, then you are only eligible to recover 70 percent of available compensation.
Texas also follows the “51 percent bar” rule. If it is determined that you are more than 50 percent responsible for the accident, your claim will be denied entirely.
This is why it is so important to secure the support of an experienced lawyer like those at J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys. Because there is no real formula for determining who is at fault, you’ll want an experienced attorney who will be able to adequately defend your claim and limit your liability.
Our team will make sure that the true responsible party is held liable to the highest degree possible.
Compensation For Your Injury
Understandably, those who have suffered from a personal injury as the result of a car accident will want to know how much compensation they may be awarded. While there is no exact formula that will dictate exactly how much you will receive, there are certain factors that will affect this amount, including physical, mental, emotional, and financial damages.
Gonzalez Injury Attorneys will fight to help secure compensation for but not limited to:
- Medical expenses (past and present)
- Emotion distress
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Physical impairment
- Property damages
- Loss of earnings
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death damages
Need an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney?
Our experienced Rio Grande Valley car accident attorneys are ready to help you get your life back in order. The J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys take pride in offering each of our clients the knowledge, passion, and efficiency needed to uphold their rights.
If you or someone you loved has been involved in a car accident, contact us right now at (956) 630-6700 for a consultation.
You don’t pay unless we win!
image source: www.themonitor.com