After a car accident, you are likely to be disoriented, shaky, and possibly even injured.
But it’s important to recognize that the actions you do and don’t take after a car wreck can have a major impact on the outcome of an insurance claim or personal injury claim.
As a responsible driver, you’ll want to be familiar with a few tips to minimize the stress and confusion that follows a car accident.
Our attorneys at the J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys would like to provide you a list of do’s and don’ts so you can be prepared should you or a loved one ever be involved in a car accident.
Find the experienced and reliable legal representation you need to help settle your car accident with The J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys. Our personal injury lawyers in McAllen, Brownsville, and Rio Grande City are dedicated to seeking justice for victims involved in a car accident.
What You Should Do After A Car Accident
- Call the police.Even if the car accident only caused minor damages, it may be in the best interest of all parties involved to call law enforcement. A police officer will document the accident and file an official report that can be used by insurance companies in a settlement.
In the cases of major or serious injuries and damages, a police officer will aid victims and properly document the situation.
- Gather essential information. A victim of a car accident should gather as much information if possible. Information should include: the other driver’s name, address, telephone number, and insurance information, as well as their license plate number, car make, and model.
The contact information of any witnesses involved should also be collected. If the victim of the car accident is unable to record this information, a family member or friend of the victim should record this info.
- Take pictures. If possible, make sure to take pictures of the accident. Details to capture include the general scene, weather conditions, nearby traffic signs, skid marks, any vehicle damage, and images of any personal injuries of those involved in the accident. Take pictures of your #carcrash scene if possible. #JGonzalez #LawFirm Click To Tweet
- Seek medical attention. Following a car accident, victims may not notice any bodily injuries. You may, in fact, feel fine and refuse medical attention. However, injuries such as internal or soft tissue injuries do not show immediate manifestations.
If can be difficult to prove an injury was a direct result of a car accident if you decide to wait a few days or weeks to seek medical attention. For insurance purposes, and for the victim’s health and safety, it is best to receive medical attention immediately after a car accident.
What You Should Not Do After a Car Accident
- Move the vehicle. Just like a crime scene, a car accident scene can have valuable evidence that can be rendered useless if that evidence is moved or touched. Unless required by law, leave the vehicle as is. Law enforcement can take note of the specific point of impact and document this in their report. Individuals involved in the car accident should also remain at the scene until an officer states otherwise.
- Avoid dangerous situations.Individuals involved in a car accident should recognize when to remove themselves from a dangerous situation. A vehicle that is burning or smoking is definitely a red flag. All parties involved and all witnesses should step away from the vehicle to avoid injury. If the car accident occurs in a high-traffic area, those involved in the car accident should move to a safer location until law enforcement arrives.
- Don’t discuss the incident or any legal proceedings on social media. It is in your best interest to put a hold on social media use. You should also ask all friends and family members to avoid discussing your situation online. Comments, images, and posts can be used against you by your insurer or another lawyer to undermine your claims.
- Never admit fault. Do not apologize or admit fault to anyone involved in the car accident or any witness. Any individual involved in a car accident who admits to having caused the car accident can have those words used against them.
Our last to do tip: Do rely on the J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys to provide you the justice you deserve.
The personal injury lawyers of J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys are dedicated to your rights and needs. Always have legal representation on your side so you can ensure the compensation you are being offered is just and fair.
Do not settle for anything less than what you deserve. Calls us today at (956) 630-6700 to schedule a consultation.