On the early morning of Monday, June 22nd, a disastrous motorcycle accident left a man in his 30s dead in the Northeast side in San Antonio.
Details About the Accident
According to local authorities, the man was riding within the 12100 block of O’Connor Road. The victim reportedly lost control of his motorcycle after hitting a dip and ultimately struck into a fire hydrant and flew off his vehicle.
By the time EMT officials arrived, it was too late to save the man, as he was pronounced dead at the scene.
A Brief Overview of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents, by nature, can bring debilitating–if not fatal–injuries and lead to severe head trauma to those who survive such crash.
According to data compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA), motorcyclists are about 28 times more at risk of being killed in an accident in comparison to passenger car occupants.
Within the same report, the total death toll for motorcyclists in 2018 came out to 4,985 fatalities, which accounted for 14% of all traffic-related fatalities across the United States.
Texas alone had a reported number of 418 motorcyclists fatalities in 2018. It was also revealed that 49% of those motorcyclists in Texas roadways were not wearing any kind of helmets before the accident occurred.
Factors That Lead to Motorcycle Accidents
While each motorcycle accident is different, the most common reported causes include:
- Excessive speeding: This is known as the leading cause of these types of accidents. When a rider drives his bike at an excessive speed, the chances of them losing control of their vehicle is extremely high. This is because their reaction timing to slow down to prevent a collision is a narrow window. Approximately 32% of these fatalities have been linked to excessive speeding.
- Reckless behavior: While some motorcycles are equipped with roaring engines that can let riders go extremely fast, they are still obligated to follow the same road regulations as anyone else they are sharing the road with.
- Driving under the influence: Approximately 27% of all motorcyclist fatalities occur as a result of riders operating their motorcycle while intoxicated. Regardless of what vehicle you are operating, no one should ever operate a vehicle when under the influence. Make plans to stay beforehand or have a sober designated driver that you trust or a rideshare company take you home.
- Inexperienced riders: Inexperienced drivers may take chances that they shouldn’t and put themselves in great danger. It is best to educate yourself on how to properly ride a motorcycle–and all of its safety protocols–before riding to prevent a potential tragedy.
- Lane splitting: When a rider decides to drive in between two lanes, the lack of space and close proximity between a motorcyclist and a driver could cause a deadly accident.
- Dangerous left-hand turns: When one fails to give the right of way or makes a driving error, it can also cause a catastrophic accident.
- Road defects: Things such as cracked pavement, potholes, objects, rocks, debris, lack of lighting, or lack of safety signs can all contribute to a potential motorcycle accident.
- Motorcycle defects: At times, the motorcycle itself might have faulty components; even the design itself might cause a sudden accident.
Seeking Justice Is Just A Consultation Away
If you or a loved one has suffered significant injuries or lost a life as a result of a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent party, do not hesitate to contact the McAllen motorcycle accident attorneys of J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys.
Our experienced attorneys will guide you through the entire legal process and evaluate the negligent factors that led up to the accident in order to seek justice in civil court and financial recovery for your damages.
Injured in a motorcycle accident? Contact J.Gonzalez Injury Attorneys today.