On Saturday, February 6th, an adult male was fatally struck by a car as he was attempting to cross the highway at Forest Trails Drive in Houston.
Details About the Incident
According to local authorities, the incident occurred at approximately 10:00 p.m on the 8100 block of Highway 6 near Forest Trails Drive. Eyewitnesses reported that the victim was attempting to cross the street during a red light.
The bicyclist was declared dead at the scene.
The driver of the vehicle failed to stop to render aid and is currently on the run from local authorities.
Staggering Texas Hit-and-Run Statistics
Hit-and-run incidents occur when a driver either fails to give a pedestrian or other driver the right-of-way, or when a driver flat out fails to acknowledge the presence of the victim.
As per data compiled by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), it was reported that 2019 was one of the deadliest years for pedestrians with a total of 6,590 fatalities across the United States caused by hit-and-run accidents.
Texas saw 5,952 pedestrian-related incidents in 2019.
Of these reported incidents:
- 1,954 individuals suffered possible injuries.
- 2,095 individuals suffered non-incapacitating injuries.
- 1,260 individuals suffered serious injuries.
- 660 individuals lost their lives.
Texas Cyclist Accident Statistics
According to TxDOT, there were 2,547 auto-cyclist incidents. Of these accidents:
- 871 accidents in which 878 individuals suffered possible injuries.
- 1,100 accidents in which 1,102 individuals suffered non-incapacitating injuries.
- 312 accidents in which 312 individuals suffered serious injuries.
- 68 fatal accidents in which 68 individuals lost their lives.
RGV’s Top Lawyer Ready to Deliver Justice!
J.Gonzalez Injury Attorneys are here to fight tooth and nail for you and your loved ones. It is important to act as soon as possible as the Texas statute of limitations only allows you to file a personal injury claim within two (2) years from when the accident occurred.
Do not hesitate to contact J.Gonzalez Injury Attorneys today for a FREE case evaluation!
Source: ABC 13