The last few years have seen cellphones evolve into a multifunctional device that begged for a new and hip name. That’s when the famous “smartphone” was born. Their impact on our daily lives is so peculiar that we just can’t seem to put them down. Unfortunately, this has come with a major downside. Car accidents occurring as a result of texting and driving have become far too common and the statistics surrounding the issue show just how dangerous this seemingly harmless action can be.
It’s time to hold the negligent party accountable for the emotional and physical suffering you’ve been burdened with. Contact the J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys today.
A survey conducted by an American telecommunications corporation revealed that 49% of adults admit to texting while driving even when 98% agree that doing so is highly dangerous. While these numbers are shocking, don’t think they stop there. The following statistics have been gathered from several surveys and research studies:
- Nine Americans are killed each day due to car crashes caused by distractions such as phone usage, texting or eating.
- The likelihood of a car crash involving cellphone usage is one in four.
- A staggering 40% of teens revealed the driver of a vehicle they rode in was using a cellphone while driving.
- In Spain, 15% of drivers admitted to texting while driving. In the U.S., 33% of drivers aged 18-64 admitted to doing the same.
- In 2013 alone, there were a total of 341,000 car accidents where texting was involved.
- Cellphone usage increases the likelihood of a car accident by four times.
- A driver can safely glance away from the road for only two seconds.
- Drivers typically look away from the road for an average of five seconds to use their cellphone.
- Texting is illegal for drivers of all ages in 46 states not including Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- People aged 21-24 are more likely to send a text message or email while behind the wheel.
Representation You Can Count On
Phone usage while driving should never be encouraged. If you or a loved one has suffered emotional and physical pain as a result of an accident caused by an inattentive or distracted driver, know that the J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys is ready to help.
Our personal injury lawyer in McAllen and his legal team will work diligently to bring you closer to the compensation you deserve. We’ll listen to your story and use evidence and data to create a solid plan of action for the most satisfactory outcome. Don’t let a negligent act do away with life as you know it. For more information, give us a call or visit us in McAllen.