Texas…we have a problem.
For several years now, MADD has continuously reported Texas as having the highest drunk driving deaths. Every year thousands of Texans lose their lives or suffer through debilitating injuries because of drunk drivers.
While this is definitely not just an issue in Texas, as nationally about one in three traffic deaths are drunk driving related, our top ranking in such an abysmal category should motivate us to continue working towards creating safe streets for all drivers and pedestrians.
The truth about drunk driving:
- Between 2002 and 2013 Texas saw 13,138 deaths due to drunk drivers.
- In 2015, there were 960 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This is 27% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- During 2015, more DUI—Alcohol crashes were reported in the hour between 2:00 AM and 2:59 AM than any other hour of the day.
- More alcohol related crashes occur on Saturday than any other day of the week.
- In 2015, Texas saw nearly 8000 DUI related injuries.
- Hidalgo County had 752 DUI involved crashes in 2015.
- Cameron County had 407 DUI involved crashes in 2015.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that 1,323 Texans were killed in drunk driving accidents in 2015 in cases where the driver had a Blood Alcohol Level greater than 0.08%.
- Everyday 28 people die in an alcohol related traffic accident.
- One person dies every 53 minutes because of a drunk driver.
- Alcohol related crashes cost the American public more than $37 billion annually.
- There were 171 fatalities involving individuals under the age of 21.
- During 2015, there were 90,066 DUI arrest in the state of Texas.
An article in Alcohol Research: Current Reviews found that “early studies of alcohol use within border populations showed that border residents were at higher risk for some alcohol outcomes compared with people who do not live near the border.”
The study ultimately showed that residents living near the Mexican border (i.e. Hidalgo, Cameron, and Starr County residents) were at a higher risk for alcohol use and abuse, as well as related consequences that arise from such behaviors. It was also noted that these trends were emphasized in younger populations and their higher frequency of attending bars.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured as result of a drunk driver, J. Gonzalez Law Firm is here to help you find justice.
At J. Gonzalez Law Firm, we know how scary it can be to get into a car accident and get injured. We know how tough it can be when medical bills and car damages can put your life on hold. Let the attorneys at J. Gonzalez Law Firm fight for your rights for compensation and the due process you deserve.
If you choose to file a personal injury lawsuit through us, we can help you obtain compensation for:
- Loss of wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Medical bills and future medical care
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
- Funeral costs for wrongful death cases
Our personal injury lawyers in McAllen, Brownsville, and Rio Grande City are here to help you get your life back in order.
Contact us today at (956) 630-6700 to get the process started on building your case.