Everything’s bigger in Texas. Unfortunately, that also rings true for the number of car accidents that happen here in the Lone Star State.
The reality is that, regardless of where you live, accidents are bound to happen. Whether it’s out in sunny California, or across the nation in the Empire State, or even as you’re traveling throughout the ever-growing Rio Grande Valley, there’s always the latent risk of being involved in an accident for any number of reasons. However, by being aware of the circumstances under which car accidents happen, as well as the statistics, J. Gonzalez Law Firm hopes to help you avoid getting into one yourself.
However, if you should suffer through the unfortunate event of an automobile accident, then do not hesitate to contact the J. Gonzalez Law Firm offices to get the legal backing your situation requires.
To begin with, Texas does unfortunately have the highest rate for total fatal car crashes (as per 2010 data), but this is of course due to the state’s high population. In fact, the state falls into the bottom 50% of the nation when in the context of fatal accidents per 100,000 people.
Additional statistical analysis suggests that the deadliest position to be in a car (in Texas) is the passenger seat. As per 2011 information, 34% of all recorded automobile fatalities involved passenger car occupants. Furthermore, pickup truck and SUV occupants had the second highest rate of fatality at 32%. Following these grievous numbers were motorcyclists at 15%, pedestrians at 14%, large truck drivers at 2%, and finally bicyclists at a surprising 1%.
Surprisingly, this same data notes that fatal car crashes occur at a rate of 55% in rural areas and 45% in urban areas like the Rio Grande Valley.
Additional statistics reported to and documented by TxDot in 2015 include:
- A total of 518,577 car accidents were reported in Texas in 2015.
- 246,335 people were injured in these accidents with 17,011 suffering serious injuries.
- 3,531 people were killed in auto accidents.
- Over 40% of those killed in car crashes in 2015 were reportedly not wearing safety belts.
- 459 motorcyclists and passengers were involved in a fatal accident in 2015. Over 50% were not wearing helmets.
- 27% of all fatal accidents involved at least one driver who was under the influence of alcohol.
- Drunk driving accidents have been shown to occur mostly at night with the highest rate occurring between the hours of 2:00 and 3:00 AM.
- 1,255 deaths that occurred last year were caused by single-vehicle run-off-the-road accidents.
- 807 fatalities happened in automobile accidents that took place at intersections.
- 581 people were killed in head-on collisions.
- Auto-pedestrian accidents have risen a tragic 12.7% in comparison to the previous year for a total of 550 deaths in 2015.
- 51 bicyclists suffered fatal injuries in accidents involving motor vehicles.
- Over 128,000 accidents took place in rural areas causing 1,925 fatalities.
- Over 390,000 car accidents took place in urban areas causing 1,606 deaths.
- October was the deadliest month for auto accidents in Texas last year with 356 people dying to fatal injuries.
- Statistically one car accident occurs every 61 seconds in Texas.
- One person is injured in a car accident every 2 minutes and 8 seconds.
- Last year, one person was killed in a car wreck every 2 hours and 29 minutes.
- Though the number of fatal accidents rose in the U.S. by 7.7% last year, they actually decreased 1% in Texas.
- The last day without a fatal accident in Texas occurred on November 7th, 2000. That was nearly 16 years ago.
Contact The Only Number That Matters
Though this data paints an abysmal picture of Texas roadways, it’s important to remember that by remaining a vigilant and careful driver, you can help to turn the tide. This means avoiding using your cell phone, whether talking or texting, and driving the speed limit at all times. Also, always make sure to use your safety belt, and be sure to remind your teen drivers about this precaution that can truly save lives. And especially DO NOT drink and drive.
Even if you are the safest driver on the road, our lawyers are J. Gonzalez Law Firm recognize that sometimes accidents can still occur.
When this happens, you need a law firm that will fight for the truth. A law firm that will fight for you. J. Gonzalez Law Firm understands the legal ring and can help you get the justice, and compensation, you or your loved one deserves.
Contact us today at 1-800-CAR-CRASH to get the right team on your side.