You may have heard the term “ambulance chaser” without understanding exactly what it means.
Ambulance chaser refers to doctors, chiropractors, and even lawyers who will illegally solicit victims of car wrecks before the individual has the opportunity to do understand the severity of their situation and make an informed decision. This practice is unethical, and in the state of Texas, illegal.Ambulance chasers act unethically & illegally #MakeTheRightChoice #JGonzalez Click To Tweet
Unfortunately, this doesn’t always stop these disreputable individuals from taking advantage of victims that could use real support.
Your South Texas personal injury lawyers at J. Gonzalez Law Firm understand how easy it can be to make a bad decision during the scariest of times – like a major car accident. That’s why we make sure to keep accident victims informed. We truly care for those who have been injured in car wrecks and we honor the trust our clients give us.
Don’t let your injury be taken advantage. Stay aware and informed about ambulance chasers.
How did they know who I was and about my situation?
You may not realize it but police records and crash reports are available through open record laws. As noted on the Texas Department of Public Safety website, “The Public Information Act guarantees the public access to information maintained by a government agency.”
This loophole in the system allows for lawyers and their “investigators” to obtain your home address and phone number. After an accident, you may begin to receive calls from these ambulance chasers who will try and persuade you to sign a representation agreement.
Regardless of how serious your particular situation is, these unethical lawyers will encourage you to sue the other party involved. Bare in mind that their purpose for doing this is to take advantage of your situation and to make money for themselves.
If the lawyer is willing to behave unethically – and act illegally – to serve as your legal representative, what else will they do when it really matters most?
Signs to watch out for.
Understandably, you are likely to be a bit shaken up and uncertain after a major car accident.
Ambulance chasers are aware of this stress and anxiety and will try to use this to their advantage. Don’t fall for their tactics.
A few signs to watch out for include:
- Ethical and professional lawyers will NOT attempt to reach out to you first. If you receive phone calls, texts, emails, or visitations immediately following an accident take this as a warning sign. A trustworthy lawyer will not reach out to you.
- Ambulance chasers may encourage you to visit a doctor or chiropractor for free. They may try to lure you into an agreement by telling you to visit their recommended medical professionals at no cost to you.
- Promises and guarantees to get you money, no matter what. If they are promising guarantees that sound too good to be true, they probably are.
- An overabundance of clients. A trustworthy law team is going to take the cases they can handle so they can dedicate the necessary resources to each individual situation. Ambulance chasers will take all they can get – and then more – to get all the money they can. Keep an eye out for this excess in clients.
- After several rejections, ambulance chasers and their “investigators” may attempt to get pushy. They may continuously try to set up meetings with you or use scare tactics as a way to get you into a situation you don’t want to be in.
- Cash advances for their services. If a lawyer offers you money before you even hire them, take this as a big warning.
A few tips to protect yourself from ambulance chasers.
Being informed is one of the best ways to protect yourself from unethical lawyers. By understanding the tactics ambulance chasers use to trick victims into signing agreements, the better you can avoid their strategies.
There are a number of tips to keep in mind following an accident to ensure you don’t hire an untrustworthy lawyer including:
- Do not make a major decision right after the accident. You are likely to be disoriented and anxious. Give yourself some time (a few days) to go over the situation and decide what is in your best interest.
- If you do decide to follow suit following a car accident, then do your research before hiring legal aide. Read up on client reviews of the lawyer you are interested in hiring. Don’t forget to ask friends and family for recommendations.
- Interview lawyers that seem to be skilled and professional. Ask about their experience with handling your type of case and pay attention to their language when discussing potential outcomes. A good lawyer will be honest and upfront about the potential of winning your lawsuit.
Don’t be fooled by an ambulance chaser. Work with a team of attorneys that has a great reputation and actually cares about your situation. When you’re in need of honest and experienced lawyers, the J. Gonzalez Law Firm is here for you.
The J. Gonzalez Law Firm is nothing like ambulance chasers. We’re honest. We’re hard working. And we want to fight for the best outcome possible for you.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car crash, contact us today at (956) 630-6700. Our team of auto accident lawyers in Rio Grande City, McAllen, and Brownsville has the experience needed to get your life back on track after an accident.